1. Will you be looking for a new job? Yep. I'll need a bum job (retail, making tacos, dancing around in a hot dog suit) for a few months before I leave to India. And then hopefully I'll score an internship in Boston for the summer upon my return from India's Sunny Climes.
2. Will you be looking for a new relationship? I'm so totally ambivalent to the idea of being in a relationship right now...I haven't even considered the idea for months. If it happens, that'd be swell, but I'm exerting no energy on making it happen. I got other shit to do. (Also, hookups = nice substitute.)
3. New house? Quite a few new houses if all goes well - India, wherever I'm living at the school I transfer to. I love moving, I love uprooting myself. It's written in my blood.
4. What will you do different in 08? Obsess less, slack off more, stop being such a an on-edge perfectionist. I spent this year knocking myself out in the pursuit of academic perfection and although I might be a "success," I can't say I'm happier then I was last year. I need to relarn how to be human again.
5. New Years resolution? Learn to relax and laugh and lighten up again. Have the time of my life in India. Begin the path of becoming a REAL WORKING WRITER. Party my ass off. And gain 15 pounds. People going around saying I should have been Posh Spice for Halloween is not cool.
6. What will you not be doing in 07? Obsessing over my own mini-imperfections, driving myself crazy with every single possible way that something could go wrong, destroy my life, murder my hopes and dreams. I HAVE TO LIGHTEN UP.
7. Any trips planned? India in the Spring, where I'll be interning at a music magazine in Bangalore. Everything else is a bit fuzzy, though I may intern in either Boston or China next summer if all goes well.
8. Wedding plans? Not so much. Unless I marry a well-appointed young son of a raj or something, which is what my mother demands I do.
9. Major thing on your calendar? The day I leave Simon's Rock behind me for forever...in about four more days.. Mmmm.
10. What can’t you wait for? Leaving Simon's Rock and winter, closing that chapter of my life, stepping off the plane in California with full rein to remake myself once again. This kind of thing feels good to me. I wonder what I'll become after India. I'm a surprise to myself.
11. What would you like to see happen different? I never want to get into the hyper-achiever loop I found myself in this semester ever again. My grades are not my life, my awards are not my life, and getting a 4.0 does not make you a better person. Go outside, take a deep breath, and watch the stars. Burn your term papers. That's what needs to happen different. I need to drink more beer.
12. What about yourself will you be changing? My perfectionism, my over-ambition. But most importantly, my drifter nature. Why can't I stay rooted and happy in one place? Why are all my friends casual acquaintances? I've brought this on myself, but why, and how did it all begin? Will I still be packing up and moving somewhere closer to the Big Rock Candy Mountain of myth when I'm 90 years old?
13. What happened in 07 that you didn’t think would ever happen? Me becoming a soulless shell of an academic overachiever. If you knew me a punkass little kid, that's just about the most unlikely possible outcome.Apparantly I had the capacity within me all along and just needed the right...motivation. (Getting the fuck out of New England.)
14. Will you be nicer to the people you care about? I'll try, as always, but is there a clear way to categorize nicer? Certainly i never set out to be cruel, but I often am, and I am very sorry.
15. Will you dress differently this year than you did in 06? Yes. I pretty much gave up on fashion this semester due to Having No Life Beyond Studying. I'm looking forward to hitting the mall and making myself somewhat hot again. I miss clothes that serve no practical purpose and are not machine-washable.
16. Will you start or quit drinking? Start drinking again. I stopped completely in the name of Achievement, but now I think I'd have been better off if i'd punctuated my brutal study sessions with a few stiff slugs of bourbon. It would have put me all in perspective, arranged the puzzle pieces.
17. Will you better your relationship with your family? I hope so. It's good already, but I want to move it from a kid relationship and into an adults with adults relationship - but that takes time and effort and learning on my point. I want to learn how to be truly helpfu around the house instead of just a roadblock. I want to learn to cook.
18. Will you do charity work? Definitely. One of my first priorities upon return to Sacramento is calling the animal shelter and getting back on their dog walkers lists. There's no better way to spend a Saturday morning (and few more exciting ways, either.)
19. Will you go to bars? Doubtless many in India. I adore Asian countries lax adherence to liquor age cutoffs.
20. Will you be nice to people you don’t know? I generally am. I hope I do not become more cruel.
21. Do you expect 08 to be a good year for you? I'm trying to hold back expectations. I do have a suspicion it will be very interesting indeed. Action packed, maybe..
22. How much did you change from this time last year till now? I loved Simon's Rock then, back when I was still partying, allowing myself to have fun. Now I despise Simon's Rock, because I turned myself into a grades robot, withdrew from friends, became nothing more then a 4.0 generator. It wasn't worth it and I brought it on myself. I feel bad. I won't, however, miss the RIDICULOUS cold weather here, living in the boonies, or the dead on arrival dating scene.
23. Do you plan on having a child? Nope.
24. Will you still be friends with the same people you are friends with now? Maybe, but it'll all be long distance. There will be Facebooking. This shit is so melancholy.
25. Major lifestyle changes? Yes, living in India then starting college at a new school will definitely qualify. But considering that I feed on major lifestyle changes, bring em' on. They're my dug.
26. Will you be moving? Quite a bit, just the way U like it.
27. What will you make sure doesn’t happen in 08 that happened in 06? Becoming obsessed with my work and achievements to the exclusion of all the other good and beautiful things in life. I threw away fun for...what...exactly? I must relarn the fine art of dicking around, goofing off, and sitting on my ass.
28. What are your New Years Eve plans? I'll be in Tampa, Florida, visiting my wonderful grandmother and enjoying the balmy weather.
29. Will you have someone to kiss at midnight? Hope not with expected company.
30. One wish for '07? To figure it out.